21 August, 2008

sellout.



this has been on my mind lately. what is a sellout? are you a sellout? Here is the wiki definition:

Selling out refers to the compromising of one's integrity, morality and principles in exchange for money, 'success' or other personal gain. It is commonly associated with attempts to increase mass appeal or acceptability to mainstream society. A person who does this, as opposed to following the original path s/he laid (or claimed to lay) out for him/herself, is labeled a sellout and regarded with disgust and immediate loss of respect. Selling out is seen as gaining success at the cost of credibility.

I would argue that many people my age who are so against "sellouts" are themselves what they say they hate. This is heavy, and usually my blog is light...no apologies though at all.

When this came to my mind I was thinking of many people my age who grew up knowing what was right, but now they choose to sellout, " compromising [their] integrity, morality and principles in exchange..." in this case for an image. What image? an image of worldliness, of godlessness, of the ability to be like their friends. Yet they pride themselves in the freedom that is theirs to live like that. At first when I saw them I felt like crying, now I feel like screaming, shaking them and trying to beat life back into them. I am not the judge, Jesus is, and that is a good thing because I am angry at the way that knowingly they smear the name of Jesus while wholly expecting his grace. The sad thing is that they know what is right and choose to walk wrong. puke.


here is a little poem I wrote for ya:


when did sexual exploration pre-wedding earn God's favor?
when did smoking, hangovers and eating to obesity become acceptable?
when did cussing and profanity become light in the darkness?
when did you stop feeling convicted?

sellout.



1 comment:

Corinne said...

I love you Bethany. I agree, it's SO FRUSTRATING to watch people who have known the truth to turn their backs on it.