19 January, 2009

authority

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted...

-Romans 13: 1+2


Politics, it can be a heated debate.

I am happy and proud that America voted in its first minority, I don't agree with him on some major issues but he is due to be our leader as of tomorrow. If I lived close I would go see, it is an event of a lifetime, even bigger- an event that will go down in history.

I don't fear, and I won't fret because I am told not to. I am told that to trust is what I am called to. Do we think that we as a nation put this man into office? That our votes brought him there?
This man, he is being placed as a leader of our nation and he is there because it was God's will. I am not saying he will be a good leader, or that he is godly, or any such things...but he is there, he will be there because God willed him there. This doesn't mean that he is anointed, that he is holy or any type of divine being. God spoke through a donkey, he could speak through rocks and he will use anything he chooses.

Jesus placed himself under authority even though he owned all authority. He knew God's plan and purpose would shine the strongest through obedience and subjection, even to a sinful man- but still the leader. At the same time he is never confused about who's power he really is living (and soon dying) under.
"Do you refuse to speak to me? " Pilate said. "Don't you realize I have power either to free you or to crucify you?"

Jesus answered, " You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above".

From then on Pilate tried to set Jesus free...
John 19: 10-12

God does the same for this nation, he is not threatened- this was in his plan, Obama being president was in God's plan. My trust is not in man, it is in God. I don't know Obama, but I know that all men are imperfect, they will all fail they will all come up short. God is big, bigger than any rockstar-president-idol. Why do any of us need to worry or fret. If we are walking the way God has called us, if we are living daily the way that He has asked us to, with fire, passion- we should have no worries, no stresses. Who am I to say that this is good or bad- only that God will use it as he wills as he chooses just as he has throughout the generations. Take a step back, see the bigger picture.

This, then, is how you should pray:

Our Father in Heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.

For yours is the kingdom and power and the glory forever. Amen. Matthew 6: 9-13

I am his servant, his daughter and I know with certainty that he loves me, and with security that he will do what is best for me. For a long time I thought that meant that he would keep me safe, protect me from heartbreak, hold my little hand and always whisper sweetness in my ear. I thought what was best always felt good. I am so humbled to come to a place of deeper understanding. How could I have ever thought that? In all truth, for me to learn most of the time it is through difficulty, heart ache and loss. I no longer need my life to be padded to know that He is there, I no longer need soft soled shoes to make my feet comfy- growth is thorns and thistles, it hurts.




2 comments:

claire said...

Very well said..

Anonymous said...

fantastic post. Thanks for your insight.