09 January, 2009

knit granny washcloth/dishcloth pattern

My grandma jackson, taught me to make these several times when I was growing up. She is gone now, and I forgot how to make them. I did a little fiddling, now that I re-taught myself to knit and that is what I am sharing with you. It is exactly the pattern she taught me, at least it turns out the same. There are probably several ways to do this.

I use Cotton Ease Lion Brand yarn, a medium 4 which is 50% Cotton, 50% Acrylic. I don't think it matters what you use as long as it is cotton. I think I have busted out 5 of these so far, they feel so nice on the skin as a washcloth. And I knit different ones for the dishes as well, that way I can just throw them in the wash.


granny washcloth/dishcloth pattern:

*CO 4

*K1, YO1, K remainder of stitches (the YO will add one stitch each row)
repeat for every row until you have 44 stiches on your needle.

*K1, Ktog, YO1, Ktog, knit remainder of row
repeat until you are down to 4 stiches on your needle, then cast off.


enjoy your bath! (or washing your dishes in style)


2 comments:

Alyce said...

My mom used to make these for our house when we were growing up, and then she made some for me when I got married too. I don't know how to knit though. I'm a crocheting girl. :)

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

I love these!! I don't know how to crochet, knitting is just so much fun it keeps me occupied. I have wanted to learn to crochet but haven't really ever gotten an opportunity.

What do you like to make?