12 January, 2009

barley lentil (and whatever else) soup




Barley Lentil (and whatever else) Soup
*1 T. olive oil
*3 cloves of garlic
*2 chopped medium onions
*3 medium potatoes
*1 t. salt
*1/2 t. dried thyme
*1/2 t. dried rosemary
*1 C. pearled barley
*2 C. lentils
*1 16oz.can crushed tomatoes
*Italian seasoning to taste
*2 vegetable bouillon cubes
*10 C. water (approx.)
*1.5 C. parmesan cheese (to sprinkle on top)

Put in large soup pot or kettle- this makes a ton. If you don't want to pre-soak your lentils, what you do is dump the first 6 ingredients into the pot. Saute on medium until the onions are translucent, then add in the ingredients up through the lentils. If you need to you can add extra olive oil, saute for several minutes just to soften up the lentils and so that the spices release their flavours and delicious aromas.

Add in the tomatoes and bouillon cubes and stir. Add in water, you don't have to add it all at the same time. I usually add 6 cups now and the rest throughout the rest of the cook time.

Cook for at least 1.5 hours, add more water if necessary. Then when everything is in bring it to a boil and then turn down to simmer for 1.5 hours or more and there you have it.


What do I mean when I say you can add whatever else? you can stop at the ingredients that I have listed, or if you have anything else you want to use up....add it in, things like: carrots, potatoes, celery, meat, whatever...just dump it in. Depending on the season and what is bursting from your garden this will be different. I make this for sure once a week and allow it to last. I use my biggest pot. It is perfect served with a yummy fresh bread or french bread from the store.

enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Mmmm. Lentil soup. I make a big pot of lentils just about every week. Lately I've really been enjoying a red lentil recipe from the NYT I got via Betsey from the Nook (she posted it on the recipe thread on the Nook). Anyway, I'm eager to try this one out. Looks very hearty.

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

heather- oh this is so yum. enjoy! I will have to check that NYT recipe out, I am always on a hunt for easy and nutrient loaded staple meals here :)